Friday, August 13, 2010

It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Schwing

I got a text bright and early this morning:
Pumper truck on the lot.
I couldn't wait to get breakast done and lunches packed to run down to see. 

And there it was being fed by the concrete mixer!  Ever since I raised 3 boys, I have liked watching construction equipment.  Having it on your own project is twice as exciting.  I also got a kick out of the name of this big rig with its boom swinging down over the lot:
That's right folks, it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Schwing!
I have no idea if this is the name of the pumper truck manufacturer or the name of the contractor.
I just know it tickled my funny bone.
They were already at work, pouring and smoothing concrete along the front of the house.
I thought this guy was a smooth operator, but if you've lived long enough, you know that no matter how smooth you are there is always someone coming behind you who thinks he is even smoother.


I had to leave before I could find out who was in charge, but one of my faithful blog readers stopped by later and was kind enough to send photo evidence of who was in charge.  Can you see who is calling the shots here?
Here's the on site supervisor.  Haven't we seen him before? 


Well, he was directing them well as they came on around the far corner of the house.


He got a little help from the guy with the remote control.  Seems like all these construction rigs have remote controls now.  I guess people lose them just like at home.  This guy has a clever solution to keep the remote from getting lost in the truck cushions or dropped in a dirt pile:
A strap on remote control.  It's going to be all the rage this Fall.


Next up will be the footers for the retaining walls.  There are a few curves to follow:


And then we have what looks like a salmon ladder, but I don't think salmon can swim through concrete, so it must be a retaining wall:
Up they swim
and on up to spawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment