Thursday, February 4, 2010

What's in a name?



Starting a blog to track the progress of our new build seemed like a great idea, but I was immediately confronted with a decision. (Everything about building a house seems to involve making decisions including blogging about it.) The decision I was faced with was: what should I name the blog?

I thought about it for a bit and thought about where we are building and what we hope to accomplish by building, and I decided on "Coming Home." First of all, we are building in the woods next to the house in which my better half grew up, so in a sense, it is a home coming. Second of all, we are attempting to build a "new old house" that will recall a simpler time, a time of summer nights, sweet tea, screen porches and rocking chairs. Along those lines, we hope this house will reflect the history of the area. In recent years the streets have been filled with very lavish high end homes. We'd like our house to be more like the simple summer homes that populated the area at the turn of the last century, so in this sense it is also a coming home. Finally, I thought about how I want this house to be a place that our kids will want to come home to after they make their way off to college and the world beyond.

This is going to be such an exciting endeavor! I'm very glad to have a place to record progress and pictures for our own records and for others to enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment